J-jo (17 months) is expected to
- get his plate/bowl and utensils
- put his shoes and coat away when we come in
- help me pick up his toys
- put certain items in the trash (like a piece of paper I might see on the ground or the empty yogurt container after snack)
He also helps me with laundry (when it’s convenient). I do most of the laundry after the kids are asleep because it works better for me. When I am doing a load during the day he likes to help put the clothes in the washer or dryer, but he isn’t as helpful as Bear was at that age.
I would like both of them to put their clothes in the laundry baskets but because my husband does bath time, he usually forgets to have them do that. Bear, however, will do it if reminded.
Bear (3.5 years) is expected to
- set her place at the table (placemat, utensil, plate/bowl) for all meals and snacks
- clear her place by bringing everything to the sink and wiping her placemat and putting it away still working on the last part)
- pick up her toys (without my help)
- put her dirty clothes in the laundry basket
- put her clean clothes in her closet (everything but the dresses, which I hang for her)
We have an atmosphere/expectation of “everyone pitches in” at our house. Bear is extremely helpful for her age. She will bring me anything I ask her (tissues, dishes, snacks, toys or water for J-jo). She helps J-jo with many things. She is always willing to “wash” the dishes, help me prepare snacks etc. Our home is set up for the kids to be able to help and assist in many things. I have always had Bear help me with everything such as baking and laundry. Often she helps me fold laundry for fun, but this isn’t an expectation yet. If she doesn’t want to help me, it is fine. Both kids also help make the beds. Again, this isn’t demanded. They join in because it is fun to put the cushions and pillows on the bed. At some point, I will expect them to do it themselves, but for now, I like the fact that they will help with everything and they enjoy doing so.