Well, I am a day late so this is now Saturday Six, though I have kept the title the same for ease of finding later if I or others want to do a search for Friday Five. These are six great Science resources that we love and use frequently.
1. Apologia Exploring Creation series – Bear has done Exploring Creation with Botany and is now doing Exploring Creation with Zoology 2: Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day. She loves these books, probably because they don’t dumb things down. They go into details that even I don’t know (benthic animals, anyone?), but they are conversational in tone, so make for pleasurable reading.
2. Living Science Books – We love Thornton Burgess books like The Burgess Bird Book and The Burgess Animal Book and the Burgess Seashore Book, but also read plenty of Let’s Read and Find Out About Science readers. I especially love the latter for the preschool crowd.
3. Plastic animals - Love the Toobs. They have been great for sorting, classifying, matching to three part cards, and just for playing, too. They are great for adding to sensory bins/boxes.
4. Microscope – We have the Brock Magiscope. It is easy to use and can grow with us with the purchase of a couple more lenses.
5. Snap Circuits – Even J-jo loves to put circuits together. I have high hopes to actually do lessons with this later and have the teacher’s guide as well, but for now, they just explore, making their own circuits or copying the ones in the book.
6. Magnet Kit – After reading about this kit on What Did We Do All Day? we got the kit and J-jo has had a lot of fun with it.
For more Science favorites, visit Montessori MOMents’ Friday Five Science Edition and stay tuned for the Geography Edition next week.